Friday, February 26, 2010

EDUC 6714 Reflection

This course has helped me to better understand the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Differentiated Instruction (DI). The group I worked with in this course provided valuable resources and information to help me better incorporate the ideals and the practical methods of both UDL and DI in my classroom. From the resources we have shared, I have found valuable tools to help me better assess the interests, learning styles, and readiness of my students. I would like to use student reflection and surveys more frequently to provide formative assessments and feedback on work we are doing in class. I want to be able to provide information to students in multiple ways and give them choices of ways to demonstrate their knowledge and abilities. I have realized the importance of allowing students freedom within the context of the classroom so they have an investment in their own learning. They need to take ownership of their own learning.

There are several things I would like to do right away to help incorporate DI and technology into my classroom. First of all, I want to become more familiar with podcasting so that I am able to save important information for students and they can review it as needed. Podcasting also allows students multiple ways to digest information, providing both visual and audio of the information. I also want to have students begin an online portfolio using Google so they can retain the writings and projects they create. This will allow them to see the progression in their work. Finally, for me professionally, I would like to continue to explore these ideas by following blogs and other resources to continually learn ways to help my students.

I am excited by the ideas presented in this class and hope to continue growing in order to benefit my students and help shape them into lifelong learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment